Our summer reading program at FPD is designed to encourage students to read appropriate selections that can challenge and improve their reading comprehension. This summer we are also including common reads in middle and high school to generate discussion next fall. We hope each student will find these reading assignments will enhance their summer experience.
3K – 5th Grade School
Elementary Summer Reading Packet
Students should follow directions for their grade as listed in the packet.
Middle School Summer Reading Packet
All middle school students must read three books in the following order:
- Choose one from the Choice Book list (page 8 – 23 of the linked Summer Reading packet) and complete the assignment listed on page 7 of the packet
- Book for their English class. See details on page 5 of the Summer Reading packet
- Sixth grade: Among the Hidden
- Seventh grade: My Name is Tani
- Eighth grade: The Outsiders
- Common Read: The Young Traveler’s Gift (Andy Andrews). This book will be discussed in small groups after the start of school.
All high school students must read THREE books and complete the assignments listed:
- Common Read: Just Do Something (Kevin DeYoung)
- Books required below based on grade/class:
- 9th College Prep (CP) – Fahrenheit 451 AND Choose one from the Choice List pages 9 – 25
- 9th Honors – Anthem AND Choose one from the Choice List pages 9 – 25
- 10th CP and Honors – The Lord of the Flies AND Choose one from the Choice List pages 9 – 25
- 11th CP American Lit – Solo AND Choose one from the Choice List pages 9 – 25
- 11th AP Language and Composition – The Overachievers and Outliers
- 12th CP British Lit – 1984 AND Choose one from the Choice List pages 9 – 25
- 12th AP Literature and Composition – 1984 and Frankenstein