Dr. Barry Shealy, FPD Associate Head of School
Spring begins at the time of the Vernal Equinox – the time the earth is not tilted towards nor away from the sun. For the first time since 1896, Spring will begin today, March 19, across the US. For the Eastern Time Zone it will be at 11:49PM. Read more about this unusual event.
As the flowers bloom, the grass turns green, and leaves pop out on the trees, I am reminded that –
- God brings new life – 2 Corinthians 5:17 – “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”
- God brings growth – Psalm 1:3 – “He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.”
- God provides – Deuteronomy 11:14 – “Then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and olive oil.”
- Our faith lets us wait for him – James 5:7 – “Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains.”
- God brings peace and joy – Joel 2:23 – “Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the LORD your God, for he has given you the autumn rains because he is faithful. He sends you abundant showers, both autumn and spring rains, as before.”